OSCAR: a collaborative European research project to develop more sustainable systems of conservation agriculture and increase the diversity of cover crops and living mulches
MålThe project aims to develop improved conservation tillage systems, based on subsidiary crops (also known as cover crops), used both as living and dead mulch, that
- increase the duration of soil coverage by plant canopies;
- minimize the need for soil tillage and redce tillage intensity;
- increase the diversity of species within the plant canopy and the rotation;
- reduce the need for fertilisers, pesticides and herbicides; and
- in dry climates, conserve water and reduce need for irrigation.